The weather in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital on Wednesday July 1 welcomed residents to the new month with a heavy rain and thunderstorm.
The lightnings that followed was so scary that at the end of the day, it had damaged properties of some residents.
A septuagenarian living in the Iwofe axis, said the lighting hit his bungalow with a very high intensity that his television exploded and caught fire. His generator area behind the building was also on fire but the disaster was contained.
He said even some neighbours saw the lightning in his direction.
Another resident had pasted in his social media status that he received a shock from the lightning and that would be the second time for him.
Port Harcourt is expected to experience continued heavy rains and thunderstorm in the coming days.
Lightning affects areas with low lightning resistance. People leaving in such areas need to have lightning rods on top of their buildings. The septuagenarian leaves in such an area as some trees close to his building had been damaged some years ago by lightning.
Read Also: A PORT HARCOURT WE CAN CALL OUR OWN… PART 1
Safety During Thunderstorm
To protect yourself during thunderstorm and lightning,
- Areas with low resistance to lightning should have lightning rods.
- Switch off your generator and other power sources during lightning.
- Do not make use of your mobile handsets during lightnings.
- Do not stay under a tree or walk in an open field during thunderstorm.
- Do not hold a metal object including your house protectors, doors or an umbrella metal handle.
- Do not ride a bicycle during thunderstorm storm or heavy rainfall.
- Stay indoors; inside your house, any building around or remain inside your car.
- Take down tall trees close to buildings as they have potential of failing over..