EDO YOUTH SUMMIT 2018 HIGHLIGHT: OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE OPPORTUNITY YOUR CIRCUMSTANCE BRINGS – TONYE COLE, CEO SAHARA GROUP
TONYE COLE the CEO of SAHARA Energy was one of the speakers at the Edo Youth Summit hosted by Prince Harrisson Ehimiyen Foundation in Benin City in March 2018.
I am starting this series with him and will feature the others subsequently.
He started by admonishing the delegates which cut across students from tertiary institutions in the state to dream big.
He said to dream big means that you must believe in yourself. According to him, if many nations have go be through what Nigeria has gone through they would not have survived. He said everything you need to excel is within and around you.
Highlights of points he gave thereafter.
- The tools you learn today will be obselete. For example Abacus no longer in use as well as 2 times table as calculators.
- The tools do not matter but relationship. Build quality relationships while in school. They would be need in future.
- What matters the most is what you do with your circumstances.
- Know the purpose why you are sent on earth. Do not allow your tools to limit you, use your time.
- University teaches you how to think, analyse and solve problems. The course you read might not matter in future as you could build a career on something else. Those who succeed in themselves are those who have looked inwards.
- Build your relationships, it plays important role in your success.
- Interdependence on others is critical.
- The size of your network is the size of your net worth. The smaller your network the greater your tendency to poverty. The quality of your network also matters.
- Open your eyes to the opportunity your circumstance brings.
Accrding to his profile obtained from wikipedia, Tonye Patrick Cole (born 1967) is a Nigerian billionaire entrepreneur, executive director and co-founder of Sahara Group
He serves as a board member for Atlas Mara, Bloomberg TV Africa, Enactus Nigeria, Nigeria Shippers Council and Digital Jewels.He is a member of the World Economic Forum’s Partnering Against Corruption Initiative (PACI)and also the Private Sector Advisory Group of the United Nations Sustainable Development Fund (UN SDG-F).
I hope you found this useful and motivational. Please leave a comment behind if you found this helpful.